Home »

Arnold air force base

The meaning of «arnold air force base»

Arnold Air Force Base (Arnold AFB) (ICAO: KAYX, FAA LID: AYX) is a United States Air Force base located in Coffee and Franklin counties, Tennessee, adjacent to the city of Tullahoma.[1] It is named for General Henry "Hap" Arnold, the father of the U.S. Air Force.

There is no longer an active airfield on the base, as the airfield was decommissioned in 2009. Army aviation assets (helicopters) continue to utilize Arnold as part of missions supporting Fort Campbell, Kentucky or the Tennessee Army National Guard.

The base is home to the Arnold Engineering Development Complex (AEDC), the most advanced and largest complex of flight simulation test facilities in the world. The center operates 58 aerodynamic and propulsion wind tunnels, rocket and turbine engine test cells, space environmental chambers, arc heaters, ballistic ranges and other specialized units. AEDC is an Air Force Test Center organization.[2]

The commander of Arnold Engineering Development Center is Col. Scott A. Cain.[3] and Mark A. Mehalic is the Executive Director,.[4]

Camp Forrest, located in Tullahoma, Tennessee, was constructed as one of the Army's largest training bases during the World War II period between 1941 and 1946. The camp, named after Confederate American Civil War cavalryman Nathan Bedford Forrest, was originally named Camp Peay. Camp Peay was named after 1920s Tennessee Governor Austin Peay and built east of Tullahoma, Tenn. as a National Guard Camp in 1926. Camp Peay covered 1,040 acres (4.2 km2). Camp Forrest covered 85,000 acres (340 km2) located just beyond the old Camp Peay.

The camp was a training area for infantry, artillery, engineer, and signal organizations. It also served as a hospital center and temporary encampment area for troops during maneuvers. Major General George S. Patton brought his 2nd Armored Division, “Hell on Wheels,” from Fort Benning, Georgia for maneuvers. Incoming troops were provided with amenities such as service clubs, guest houses, library, post exchanges, post office, hospital, religious services, theaters, showers, Red Cross, and Army emergency relief. Recreation facilities included swimming, archery, tennis, a sports arena and a 9-hole golf course.

William Northern Field, an air training base, was an addition for war preparation. The field was used as a training site for crews of multi-engined B-24 Liberator bombers of the Army Air Force.

Camp Forrest officially became a Prisoner of War Camp on May 12, 1942. The camp received, housed, secured, and administrated Italian, Japanese and German POWs. Prisoners were processed as laborers at Camp Forrest, the hospitals and in the local community on farms. In 1945 the US government implemented an Intellectual Diversion Program which would enlighten Germany on American way of life and increase their appreciation for the USA. This program used educational and recreational media to change views of POWs. The program was successful with many prisoners.

© 2015-2020, Wikiwordbook.info
Copying information without reference to the source is prohibited!
contact us mobile version