Home »

Lviv polytechnic

The meaning of «lviv polytechnic»

Lviv Polytechnic National University (Ukrainian: Націона́льний університе́т «Льві́вська політе́хніка») is the largest scientific university in Lviv. Since its foundation in 1816[1], it has been one of the most important centres of science and technological development in Central Europe. In the interbellum period, the Polytechnic was one of the most important technical colleges in Poland, together with the Warsaw Polytechnic. In 2020 Lviv Polythchnic was ranked globally among top 1000 universities according to The Times Higher Education.[2] As for 2019, there were approximately 35,000 students in the university.[3]

The history of the Lviv Polytechnic National University begins during the Austrian Empire, and extends through the Second Polish Republic, the Nazi Occupation, the Soviet Union, and into independent Ukraine.

On March 7, 1816 , the Tsisar-Royal Real School was opened in Lemberg (Lviv). A technical school was established with the help of the newly introduced local industrial tax. In the curricula of the Royall School, the main focus was assigned to the subjects of the natural-mathematical cycle, drawing, drawing and the study of new modern languages. The royal-school educational process was based on German educational programs that were adapted to local requirements. The newly created Royal School was housed in a beautiful building at number 20 on the then-current Pekarska Street (now Virmenska).

In 1825, according to the Royal Decree of the Austrian Emperor Franz I, the three-level Tsissar-Royal Real School was reorganised into the Tsissar-Royal School of Technical Sciences and Trade in Lviv.

In 1835, the School of Technical Sciences and Trade turned into the Tisar-Royal Real-Trade Academy in Lviv. Here in 1841 the technical faculty was opened.

In 1844, in the house of Darovskogo, on the present Armenian street, 2, the Tsisars-Royal Technical Academy was opened in Lviv with technical and trade departments (faculties). It was one of the first academic technical schools in Europe and the first in Ukraine. In 1877, at the start of a new academic year, under the leadership of the new rector Julian Zachariewicz, construction began of a new building to the academy (in the present Stepan Bandera street). Julian Zachariewicz was also an accomplished architect, and designed this building, based on the 1820s Technical University in Vienna, and the chemical laboratory.

At the same time, the academy was renamed Polytechnic School and included in the academic schools of the Austro-Hungarian Empire .

On 10 July 1912, Maria Sklodowska-Curie delivered a lecture at the Lviv Polytechnic School . On the same day, the Academic Council of Polytechnics honoured Mary with the title of Honorary Doctor of Technical Sciences. Her name was immortalised on the honorary board of doctors honoris causa of Lviv Polytechnic.

Since 1921 the institution has been called "Lviv Polytechnic", and since 1939 - Lviv Polytechnic Institute.

© 2015-2020, Wikiwordbook.info
Copying information without reference to the source is prohibited!
contact us mobile version